Friday, August 24, 2012
my money saving tips (part 1)
I consider myself to be a pretty thrifty person. No, we don't use reusable toilet paper or anything like that. I'm sure I could do more to save money, for example, I do not "coupon". First of all, because I don't feel that I have the time to commit to it. And secondly, I know myself well enough to know that I am a sucker for a bargain. If there is a bargain, then I will find a way to justify buying it. So I don't coupon so that I don't expose myself to all of those awesome deals that I am perfectly content without having. Sort of like a person with a food addiction going to a buffet and ordering the salad bar only. Just don't go to the buffet. I hate buffets. Anywho, I went through a phase in college where if it was under $10 then I would buy it! But age has taught me that if it hangs in the closet with the tags, or if I wear it one time and hate it, then the bargain is off. Yes, I clip coupons here and there and shop sales, but these are a few of my more creative finds!
Day and Night Diapers - Everyone knows that diapers are pricey, but necessary. I have found that the Target Up&Up brand work really well, and are HALF the price of Pampers. I use Up&Up during the day (which is the bulk of the diapers anyway) and use Pampers Baby Dry for the nights.
Dollar General - There are a few things that I always get at $$ General - swim diapers ($5 compared to $8), pregnancy tests ($1 compared to $7), cards ($1 or less compared to $3+), wrapping paper, gift bags, tin pans (for taking meals to other people)....
Book Sets - This has been baby shower season for sure. One thing I found at Sam's was a set of 3 big touch and feel board books for $11. I separated them and included one in each gift that I gave.
Gift Tags - I made my own little gift tags for these shower gifts, rather than buying cards. With 10+ gifts it really does add up. I use my scrap booking stuff and they are really cute and personal.
Hair Cut - So far I have been able to get away with giving Little Man hair cuts. People seem surprised when I tell them that I cut it myself, so I guess that's a good sign! I cut it every 2-3 weeks and it would cost me probably $10 to take him somewhere, plus the hassle of scheduling.
Put up Apples - We have an apple tree in our backyard. It is a pain, but I put up apples when it produces. I peel, dice, and separate them into 3 cup freezer bags. I can pull out a bag and add a few ingredients that I always have on hand to make a yummy apple crisp. It is my dessert of choice when I am taking meals to new parents - no caffeine, nice size (8x8), and inexpensive!
Garden - Unfortunately we did little more than break even with our garden this year. A big hail storm prevented the abundance of vegetables that I was hoping to share with all our friends. We did get 2 zucchini and a couple batches of brushetta, spaghetti sauce, and pico.
Mpix - A photographer friend of mine told me about this little secret called mpix.com. That is where I have all of our professional pictures printed. Great quality and super inexpensive (an 8x10 for $1.99!!!). The trick is finding a photographer that will sell you the CD of pics without charging you $300. So far so good.
Frontline - A must have for any dog owner, but so pricey. I recently found an equivalent to Frontline at Wal-Mart. The brand is Adams and we haven't had any problems with fleas or ticks. And believe me, Copper would find them with as much as she's in the "country". It is 1/3 of the cost - $5 per month.
What do you do to save money?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment